Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pintrest for Writers


Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Polyvore…I just wasn't interested in getting into another social media because I find all the marketing and sharing overwhelming. The people in my life kept telling me how much I would enjoy Pinterest, how fun it was.  At first it sounded like it would be just a time sucker, looking up outfits I would never wear, rooms from houses I could never afford, or projects I would never find the time to make.
Then came Valentines’ Day, one of the most fear inducing holidays for men and women alike.  What, after all, is an appropriate gift to say, "I love you"? Would a card do or perhaps you need to go all out and buy a wallet or new lingerie?

Fortunately, when my husband and I were first married we started the tradition of not making this day about presents and spending money.  For one, our anniversary is two weeks later, and two, we didn't have a lot of money for things like flowers that wither and die.  So from our first year together we would just have a quiet dinner at home and watch a new movie.   Before the day arrived, when grocery shopping we would each pick out a card and hand it to one another, read the notes and then replace them on the rack, in this way we could share our thoughts without having them end up in the bottom of a box or drawer.   I did always try to have something new or special for dinner and to set the table to look beautiful and romantic, trying to use the items we already owned.  After all, I like to encourage romance as a way to stay connected during our busy lives. 

This is the point that brought me back to Pinterest.  I just didn’t have any new ideas. I looked in a few magazines without much luck when I decided to give Pinterest a chance.  I started by looking up flower arrangements and romantic tables and before I knew it I was hooked.  While my table wasn't nearly as beautiful as the photos on short notice that year, it gave me ideas of what I could look out for in the future.  I wouldn't have to cut out photos and put them in a journal I’d been keeping because my Pinterest board would be waiting for me online the next time I was planning a romantic evening.

From then on I found myself starting all sorts of boards – from Rheumatoid Arthritis help to Monograms and fonts to cleaning tips.

At this time, I was in the middle of writing 'Finding the Way Back' and I needed visual reminders for some of my plot points.  I was at the peignoir scene and although I had one in mind from an old movie, I thought it would be nice to have a distinct picture of what I was describing.  I found I could create a Secret Board, a board that is hidden from other people’s feed.  I don’t like to show anyone my story before I'm finished so I liked the idea that no one would be able to see the file until I made it an open board.  Occasionally I found myself uploading a photo of my own to add to my writing board, like my cover or something I’ve seen that fits a scene.  This keeps all of my ideas in one place that I can refer back to when I am doing rewrites.  It also helps your reader see what you were thinking as you wrote and if they are visual readers they will appreciate the references.

Now, with every story I write I keep a Secret Board as I am writing and I open the board when it is published.  So if you want to see what I was picturing when I wrote 'Within Reach' and 'Finding the Way Back’ come sort through my photos on Pinterest.  Just search pinners for Jill Bisker.  You never know, you might actually enjoy my other boards on Secret Hideaways or Zombie Apocalypse Planning, because you just never know.





2 comments:

aubreywynneauthor.com said...

Wow, what a great idea. I still think of Pinterest as a time suck. But I do use many ideas from there for art projects in my classroom. But I may try your idea board.

Jill Bisker said...

Thanks Aubrey! It's a fun way to suck time though isn't it? ;)