Thursday, March 20, 2014

My favorite Inexpensive Gifts for 2014

We all differ in our tastes which is usually a great thing.  It makes us unique and not striving for the same things all the time.  Unfortunately it sometimes makes giving gifts difficult.  I am at an age when I like to give gifts with meaning but most of my friends don't need another knick knack that will just sit around collecting dust.  Also I don't want to make someone else feel as if they need to remember my birthday or other event so I want something nice for a reasonable price.  Here are six inexpensive gifts I've been given or gave that I adore.




1. These wonderful hand made spoons are approximately $30 although some he makes are more expensive.  Beautiful Scandinavian one of a kind designs make these a special gift.  Jarrod Stone Dahl is the artist and he also creates bowls, boxes and other items.  All of his hand made items are beautiful!
http://woodspiritgallery.com/hand-carved-wooden-spoons/




2. I love my invisibelt.  At $22.00 they lay flat next to your body so there is no bump under your shirt.  The clasp doesn't last forever but since I wear it almost every day, I've found it lasts as long as any other belt.  http://www.invisibelt.com/collection.aspx?collection=original  I put this in our annual Christmas game and it was a huge hit.  




3. This next one seems a little odd I know but I received this as a gift after I had hurt my neck.  It's very light weight so when you put your hair up in it to dry it creates no pull on your neck.  For only $9.99 for two it's very economical.  It can be found at Bed, Bath and Beyond as well as occasionally at Target or Walmart.




4. For a luxurious bath or just next to your kitchen sink I've found a soap called Maria Evora.  It's a nice change from the usual Bath and Body gift.  The black sea salt and carob soaps are wonderful on your skin and they smell amazing!  The look of them alone makes a lovely gift.  Amazon is just one of many places that sell it for just $10.50 or 4 bars for $36.00   http://www.amazon.com/Maria-Evora-Mineral-Salt-Single/dp/B001FOFBBI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1394574174&sr=8-6&keywords=maria+evora+soap




5. I've found a lot of inexpensive, vintage items on eBay.  This one is for the ladies who are interested in green living but like a little elegance in their lives.  Search vintage beaded purses and look through the offerings.  Make sure you look at all the disclosures, most people will let you know if there are slight stains or missing beads.  You can ask a question before you bid and I suggest you do so if there are not a lot of photos showing the exact condition of an item.  I've bought beautiful bags like the ones shown for $10 to $30.  I use mine to add romance to a night out for dinner. 





6.  The last one is thanks to my sister.  She gave me this pretty little Kuhn Rikon paring knife and cutting board for Christmas.  Not only is it pretty but it is also practical.  I'm always searching for a sharp knife.  They come in a multitude of colors which I find makes cooking more enjoyable. This knife was mentioned in Bon Appetit so it's perfect for that chef in your life yet so pretty and well made everyone will love it.  You can buy them singly or as a set at kitchen shops and online.  $10 - $30 depending on size and set.

I'm always trying to have a few inexpensive gifts on hand for that surprise event.  Tell me about your favorite gifts for a chance to win an eBook copy of my short story, Within Reach.  Click below where it says 'comments' and let me know.  If you're the first to comment the link will say 'No Comments.'  If others have already commented the link will indicate number of comments.

Thanks for reading!


6 comments:

Erin said...

Totally looking for some of that soap! What a great idea for a blog posting! Might have to try that for my own blog!

Jill Bisker said...

Thanks Erin! The soap is wonderful. There is a place in St Paul that carries it http://www.thepaperpatisserieinc.com/. I'd love to see your ideas on your blog.

aubreywynneauthor said...

What great gift ideas. I love the belt and the turban. My mom broke her neck in a car accident last year. She has recovered but the turban would be great for her. Thanks for sharing, Jill.

Jill Bisker said...

So sorry to hear about your mom Aubrey!! Hope she is healing! Thanks for the comments!

Shelley Pickens said...

Wow Jill such awesome ideas!! Thanks for sharing! My best gift was a cherry rock pillow you can heat in microwave and keeps your feet warm for hours!! Thanks for the ideas!

Jill Bisker said...

Thanks Shelley! I have a pillow like that also! It's a lifesaver in the winter! Thanks for the comments.