Thursday, May 9, 2013

Why do I blog?

Everyone has a blog lately and I am only one of many.  Why did I start this blog?  It's an honest question -- one I hear when I tell people about Unaccompanied Jaunt.

Anyway, as long as I remember I have wanted to be a writer.  When I was little I would staple mini blank pieces of paper together and start a story.  Mom always said I was so into the dedication I didn't get much further at that time.  Later in 7th grade I won a writer's contest for a children's story I wrote.  S is for Sally.  Not very imaginative but for some reason very well received.  I moved on to a fanfic story where I was the heroine in the Star Wars universe.  (The foreshadowing of how important that knowledge was going to be once I had my son was unknown at the time.)  Somewhere in my teens I became very embarrassed about my stories and unfortunately I destroyed them all.  Just think of the entertainment they would have been after all these years. 

Ever since then, I've written off and on for years, bits and pieces of started novels, some short stories and even a couple of children's stories but I just didn't seem to be able to find my process.  Last year I started another novel but this time I took some online classes and read a few books on outlining.  Somehow I began to stumble on a process that worked for me.  I finished my first draft of my novel in 3 months.  I co-wrote a novel with my husband a few years ago but this one was my baby.  My husband, Geo and I went through 3 more rewrites before we decided to try to find an agent and get it published.

The process of finding an agent is a daunting task.  I've been sending it off but thus far the story hasn't found a home.  I am hopeful that I will see the story published someday. 

Now, I am 40,000 words into my next novel and am truly enjoying every moment of bringing my new world and friends to life.  Although I do write in several genres most of the same themes run through my stories.  Redemption and forgiveness are some of the themes I feel to be important in life because we could all use to have both given to us.  Another theme is women finding their own strength, something that took me many years to find for myself. 

Publishers and agents like to see an author start the process of getting a readership.  This brings me to my blog.  Blogs are one of an author's platforms to interest readers in their work.  In the future I hope to feature some of the stories I have written as well as lighter articles about organizing, travel or just the latest topic to come into my life. 

So to all who stop by my blog, I hope you enjoy the articles.   Thank you for your support in this endeavor!   If you feel compelled to leave a comment or message, I would love to hear from you!.



2 comments:

Jamie Madigan said...

I love reading your blog, and could imagine that you write awesome stories! Someday I hope to read your novel, but until that day I'm glad you're a blogger :)

J Kat Bisker said...

Thank you Jamie!! I can't tell you how much your comments mean to me!! I really appreciate it.