I don't know anything more enjoyable than watching an old movie on a wintry, Sunday afternoon.
Everyone loves lists, right? I read them to see if they match what I might choose. Sometimes I learn new books, movies, or restaurants to try. I thought I would share a list of favorite old movies with you. There is nothing scientific about my list. No one voted, no one is talking about them in an intellectual way. They are just light, fun entertainment.
We sometimes look back at history as a kinder, gentler time but I realize that wasn't always the case, so watch out for the occasional politically incorrect situation or cringe-worthy moment! But, it's the fashions, the funny lighthearted stories, the settings, the songs and cinematography-- these are the things I love in old movies. I hope you try them out and enjoy them as well.
(In no particular order)
1. How To Steal A Million - Audrey Hepburn, Peter O'Toole
2. Bundle of Joy - Debbie Reynolds, Eddie Fisher
3. Indiscreet - Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman
4. The Big Sleep - Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall
5. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison
6. The Long Trailer - Desi Arnaz, Lucy Ball
7. Mr Smith Goes to Washington - Jimmy Stewart, Jean Arthur
8. The Quiet Man - John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara
9. Two Weeks With Love - Jane Powell, Ricardo Montalban
10. Gigi - Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier
11. The King and I - Yul Brynner, Deborah Kerr
12. Charade - Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant
13. Inn of Sixth Happiness - Ingrid Bergman, Curd Jurgens
14. Dark Passages - Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall
15. The Mating Season - Gene Tierney, John Lund
16. Yours, Mine and Ours - Lucy Ball, Henry Fonda
17. The Prisoner of Zenda - Stewart Granger, Deborah Kerr
18. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart
19. Father Goose - Leslie Caron, Cary Grant
20. Brigadoon - Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse
21. The Inspector General - Danny Kaye, Walter Slezak
22. Move Over Darling - Doris Day, James Garner
23. Roman Holiday - Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck
24. My Six Loves - Debbie Reynolds, Cliff Robertson
25. That Touch of Mink - Cary Grant, Doris Day
26. Key Largo - Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall
27. Anastasia - Ingrid Bergman, Yul Brynner
28. Without Reservations - John Wayne, Claudette Colbert
29. Tammy and the Bachelor - Debbie Reynolds, Leslie Nielson
30. On the Town - Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra
31. The Shop Around the Corner - Jimmy Stewart, Margaret Sullivan
32. Breakfast For Two - Barbara Stanwyck
33. To Have and Have Not - Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall
34. In the Good Old Summertime - Judy Garland, Van Johnson
While going through my list I find there are a lot of the same actors--like now, actors tended to be in similar films when they were successful. It's always fun when you recognize a supporting actor from one movie appearing in a different one.
I'm sure I've forgotten some gems--please leave me a comment here about any old movies you enjoy!! Thanks for reading!!