Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving

It's natural to look around and see the inequities of life.  Someone else always seems to have it easier or better.  I think the reality is far different from this view.  The person we put on our facebook page sure seems to have it together.  We post our best photos, vacations, accomplishments of ourselves or our children.  How often do we see someone say...Well, my life sucks today--had a fight with my significant other, my kid is driving me crazy, I broke everything I touched or I'm sad, lonely and afraid? 

We all go through difficult times whether we broadcast them or not.  I think we should remember that when we are envying a friend. 

This time of year for me is difficult.  Holiday season is always a little lonely since my mother is not with us anymore.  But instead of focusing on that I am going to remember what I'm thankful for --

  • I am still happily married to my best friend after 23 years. 
  • My beautiful child is on his own and I get to watch him become a lovely independent being.  (standing up on his own with struggles we all must face)
  • New friends and old who share their lives with me.
  • Laughter and tears of joy and sorrow, both build a full life.
  • Memories of days gone by and people who've loved me.
  • An unexpected warm day in fall.
  • A sweet cat sitting in my lap on a cold afternoon.

I could go on and on.  My happiness has outweighed the sadness in my life and for that I am grateful. 

To all of you, I wish you joy, happiness and friendship.  All the material possessions we have can never equal those things.  You never know how much time you have with those you love, so enjoy every moment you can. 

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: