Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pantry Redo...Finding more space

Although I love the size of my kitchen, my pantry really leaves a lot to be desired.  Tiny and cramped, I'm always piling things in front of other items I need and soon it becomes a jumbled mess.  Tired of trying to find my supplies to cook with, I recently decided to carve out another space to add to my storage capability. 

My pantry in the kitchen;



Looking through my back closet, right off my kitchen-- I realized that half the closet should be ample space to hang coats for just two adults.  Unfortunately, one of those adults are consumed by coat mania, so an intervention needed to be performed before I could move on with my organizing.  After Geo intervened I cut back my collection and put some coats in the goodwill pile. 

Before the redo--


 

I added a shelving unit that I already owned, placed a tray and boards across the metal wiring and viola --  Extra pantry. 

 

I decided this would be a great time to go through all my dry goods and cans and use up whatever was old.  (I did use some of the expired items.  My father, who grew up in a time where you waste nothing,  insists the dates on cans are only put there to make you throw everything out and buy more.)

Being the decanting Queen, I put everything I could in pretty containers that I have been collecting for quite some time.  No need to do it all at once.  Every time I visit The Container Store I have a list of items I would like to decant next. 


 

I know these aren't revolutionary ideas but I hope it inspires you to try new ways to organize, making your spaces into someplace where you want to spend time.  After all, we all have to make dinner sometime.

1 comment:

Donna Caprio said...

Great job, Jill! I love it.